The Amber Flag initiative recognises the efforts of schools to create healthy, inclusive environments that support mental wellbeing. To receive a Pieta Amber Flag, you have to set and achieve goals throughout the school year.
Scoil Mhuire’s Amber Flag journey began in November 2022 when we put together our very first Amber Flag Committee, made up of staff members and 6th Class pupils.
The committee’s first step was to complete an audit of the activities and services already in existence in Scoil Mhuire that promoted an ethos of positive mental health.
The committee then identified their goals for the year:
- To create an Amber Flag noticeboard.
- To introduce the 12 Days of Kindness challenge which promotes the idea of kindness towards others and the positive effect kindness can have on your mental health.
- To make a worry box for every classroom.
- To help organise an Active/Wellbeing Week.
- To organise a fundraising event for Pieta House, which, for us, was our Rainbow Dress Up Day.
The Amber Flag Committee worked very hard during its first year and managed to achieve all the goals it set out.
Scoil Mhuire was delighted to be awarded our first Amber Flag in June 2022. Raising our flag for the first time on 29 June in the glorious Summer sunshine, and amongst our school community, was a moment of great pride for our school.
This year’s Amber Flag Committee continues to work very hard, following in the footsteps of its founding members, successfully promoting positive mental health for everyone in Scoil Mhuire.