Starting school in Scoil Mhuire is a big and exciting step for your child. Most children start with us in Junior Infants.
To help our incoming Junior Infants to settle into school each September, we run our Headstart programme during May and June before they officially begin school. Over a number of weeks, you and your child will be invited to Scoil Mhuire to participate in a range of different fun activities, including classroom visits where your child will meet their class teacher and the other girls and boys in their class.
We also host an information meeting for parents/guardians to talk about Scoil Mhuire and preparation for starting school. The information meeting is held during the school day and again at evening time to accommodate our families working and caring commitments.
Our Junior Infants made a little video for our Headstart programme, all about starting school in Scoil Mhuire. You can watch it here and we really hope you enjoy it
Starting School at Scoil Mhuire, Coolcotts
As well as participating in the Headstart programme, you can help to support your child’s curiosity about starting school by:
- Reading books and stories about starting school.
- Encouraging your child to ask questions and express their ideas and feelings about starting school.
- Playing school at home – trying on the uniform, packing the school bag etc.
- Talking about how your child will get to and from school.
When the time to start school is about to begin, it is helpful to tell your child’s class teacher a little bit about them:
- What your child enjoys and is good at.
- Any specific health or other needs.
- Anything that is happening that might affect how your child is feeling.
Please do remember that in Scoil Mhuire we welcome opportunities to meet and speak with you. If you have a concern or a worry about your child, please message your child’s class teacher on ClassDojo or telephone the school directly. We will happily arrange to meet with you to address your concern and ensure that your child’s experience in our school is a happy and fulfilling one.